This is an absolute favourite in my household and I usually have to make extra as they are eaten up very quickly! These are lovely with masala chai on a Sunday afternoon.
Marcha Na Bhajia, (Crispy Chilli Fritters)
150gs or 1 1/2 cups besan (gram) flour
10-12 long green peppers
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon asafetida
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or as per taste requirements)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Sunflower oil for frying
- Wash and dry peppers. Set aside.
- Combine besan flour, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, turmeric, asafetida, salt and bicarbonate of soda together into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the lemon juice followed by small amounts of water.
- Gently mix the batter together. Gradually add water to the flour mix to a smooth batter ensuring it is thick and without lumps. If the batter becomes thin add small amounts of besan flour to thicken it.
- Remove stalk from peppers, cut length ways into two halves and de-seed.
- Add to besan batter and cover each pepper entirely with the batter mix.
- In a large kadai, heat sunflower oil. Ensure oil is hot.
- Take the green peppers dipped in besan batter and deep fry the peppers until golden brown.
Serve immediately with chutney of your choice and a cup of masala chai.
Let me know what you all think of this recipe and how well it went down with your family.