This is a versatile dish and can be adapted to individual tastes and requirements. Vegetable pulao is a satisfying comfort food which when paired with pickle, raitu and roasted papad is a meal in itself. It’s a quick and easy recipe to put together which will suit the taste buds of even the choosiest eaters.
Pulao (Vegetable Rice)
200g (approx. 1 ½ cups) basmati rice
2 medium carrots
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
100g (1 cup) green peas
2-3 green chillies (according to taste)
2 small red onions
3 garlic cloves
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
pinch of asafetida
salt to taste
1 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons lemon juice
250ml (1 cup) water
- Firstly rinse the rice in water until it runs clear of starch. Set aside to soak in water while preparing the other ingredients.
- Dice the carrots and slice the peppers, set aside.
- Quarter the onions, peel the garlic cloves and half the green chillies and chop in a veggie chopper. If veg chopper is not available, chop ingredients finely.
- Heat sunflower oil in a non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, asafetida and onion mixture. Sauté on a low heat until spices are fragrant and onions become golden brown.
- Add all chopped vegetables, salt and garam masala. Saute vegetables on a medium heat, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Drain the soaked rice and add to the vegetables. Gently mix the rice in with the vegetables and onion mixture.
- Sauté the rice gently on a low heat for 2 minutes so as to avoid breaking it.
- Add water, add lemon juice and stir well.
- Set to low heat level, cover and allow rice and vegetables to cook until water is absorbed. During cooking, check if there is enough water which is dependant in the quantity and quality of the rice; use a fork to gently stir the rice without breaking the grains.
- Once rice has cooked, fluff and allow the rice to stand briefly.
- Serve veg pulao hot with papad, pickle, yogurt or a salad.
What is your comfort food?