Warm cabbage and carrot salad-speciality from the state of Gujarat
Sambharo is a stir fry often made with carrot,cabbage and chillies.Grated or shredded vegetables are tempered in mustard seeds, tumeric, salt and lemon juice. The green chillies add the spice then the carrots and cabbage are stir fried or cooked slightly so the vegetables retain the crunch and crispiness.Then sugar and lemon juice is added to give a sweet and sour taste, although I do not add sugar to mine.
This is a warm carrot salad which is often served as an accompaniment with main meals such as bhakhri, parotha, poori, rotli as well as with snacks like dhokla, fafda and besan papdi.
When I make sambharo, I grate the carrots coarsely and finely shred the cabbage to give it a nice texture and it allows for less cooking time.
Gajar Kobi Ne Marcha No Sambharo (Warm Carrot, Cabbage and Chilli Salad)
2 large carrots
half a cabbage or approx 2 cups
3-4 green chillies, sliced length ways
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Coarsely grate the carrots, set aside
- Finely shred the cabbage, set aside
- Slice chillies length ways and de-seed if you want to limit the spice
- In a heavy base pan heat sunflower oil and add mustard seeds. Allow them to crackle for a few seconds
- Add the carrots and cabbage. Combine well
- Add green chillies, turmeric, lemon juice, salt and sugar (if using). Mix well
- Cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking
- Once ingredients have combined well and there is a slight softening in the cabbage, remove from heat and serve warm.