Masala Macaroni is a pasta dish with a desi or Indian twist. This Indian style paste is spicy, loaded with vegetables and cheese if you eat it and is perfect to serve anytime of the day. Its a very basic, simple and easy to make recipe packed full of spices and vegetables.
This macaroni never seems to loose its charm and I know that whenever I have it it leaves me feeling satisfied. It is one of those dishes that I call continental but with a spicy twist to it, hey, call it Desi Macaroni if you like!!
I’ve added mixed peppers. sweetcorn, green pea and carrots with a sprinkling of grated vegan cheese but feel free to explore and use any other vegetables that take your fancy! Enjoy hot at lunch, brunch, a light meal or any other time you need a pick me up.
Vegan Masala Macaroni
500g dry organic wholemeal macaroni/elbow pasta
400g organic fresh tomatoes/canned tomatoes
1 teaspoon organic cumin seeds
1 ½ tablespoons organic olive oil (optional)
1 tablespoon organic garlic
1 teaspoon organic green chillies
100-150g organic mixed veg: mixed peppers, sweetcorn, broccoli, mushrooms, corgettes, carrots, green peas etc
1-2 teaspoons organic mixed Italian herbs
Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by chopping all the veg; carrots, peppers, green chillies and mince the garlic. Set all aside
- Set a pan on medium heat and add 1 teaspoon of salt with the elbow pasta and bring to a boil until al dente. Then drain reserving a 1/4 glass of pasta water and set aside.
- In a pan, add oil if using or add cumins and tomatoes following by chillies, garlic, all veg and salt to taste with mixed Italian herbs and reserved pasta water and stir.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 10 minutes, stiring occasionally then add the elbow pasta and gently stir.
- Sprinkle a little more Italian herbs, black pepper and serve hot.